Welcome to my personal savory heaven. Avocados are the best – eat them with a spoon and some lemon pepper, in Sushi or in this divine dip.
Being a Californian Mike, my husband, grew up eating this dip by the pound. His dad even had an avocado tree, they had so many avocados they didn’t know what to do with it…ahhh…give them to me!!! LOL
This originally Aztec/Mexican dip is so easy to make. I’ll present you the quick and dirty way to make it. You can always spice it up with real tomatoes, fresh cilantro (coriander my Euro friends) and real chili peppers. Let’s take it easy for now though. The success of this recipe depends on the quality of avocados you get, they need to be ripe and smushable, but not overly ripe with brown spots – eek!
A note to my German/Euro folks, what ever you do, do NOT use Kuehne or any other “Salsa” that is mainly ketchup, it will not taste right, it will be too sweet. Go to the Asia market or some other place to get REAL salsa in a jar, the spicy kind!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 actual tablespoon of salsa (we love the Pace Picante Sauce in HOT)
- 1 actual teaspoon sour cream (Germans, you can use Schmand or creme fraiche too)
- spritzer of lime juice (fresh or concentrate what ever you have at hand)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut avocados in half, remove the pit – you can use the method I stole from a sushi chef in Cali: hold the avocado half in your palm like a baby kitten, with a sharp knife and some quick power strike (like you are going to crack an egg) jam the knife into the core (I trust you to dose your power in a way that you won’t take your hand off) and while holding on the avocado turn the knife to side with a “twisty” motion.
2. Smush the perfect avocado with a fork, add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all together.
Dip with tortilla chips or heap on any Mexican style dish and don’t forget to lick the bowl. There is no shame in bowl licking, not with this one!