Sprinkles are so much fun, they take a cupcake or cookie from yum to yummy 😉 There is a fairly easy way to make sprinkles and other sugar decor yourself using royal icing which has just 3 ingredients. And the best, anything made from that mix will never go bad. I made a nice mix of sprinkles as a decor type favor for my Christmas gifts.
- 4 and 1/2 tsp. meringue powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- t tbsp. warm water
1. Blend together powdered sugar and meringue powder then add the water and beat the mixture for about 5-7 minutes until nice and combined.
2. Scrape the sides and make sure you have a coherent mixture.
3. Divide your mass in two and start coloring them using food color.
4. Place a thin round nozzle on your piping bag and fill it with one of the colors. On a wax paper lined surface, start piping straight lines.
5. Let dry for about 30 to 40 minutes depending on the thickness of your line. Then chop them up using a large sharp knife.
6. Fill a second piping bag with the other color icing and use a small star tip this time. Pressing out small dollops, pushing down and then pulling up, you can create flower like swirls.
Play around and see what you want to create
The larger your element the longer you need to let them dry. Fill them in glass containers, layer the colors if you are giving them away as a gift.
Have fun this whether you use it for gifts and decorations or make sprinkles for your Holiday cookies!